Thursday 25 August 2011

Ask Questions! That is why I’m here…

Last night, while teaching class, my students failed miserably at a combination.  I am not mocking my students or their abilities.  A failure on this grand a scale is not a usual occurrence but it was a result of a lack of communication that drives me crazy.  When I asked the students if they had any questions or desired any clarification, I was met with (what every teacher dreads)… the Blank Stare.  It has to be the worst reaction a teacher can receive.  When I start with a new class or new students, I am saddened by how often I am a recipient of it.  I try to always provide my students with the opportunity to express their understanding before the combination begins.  A blank stare however is neither a yes or no.  It wastes time in multiple ways.  We begin the combination to a disastrous result or doubting that the combination has been understood (the side I normally err on) I continue to waste time by repeating it.  Thumbs up, a nod in the affirmative, an audible “yes” are all welcomed forms of communication in my class that help me understand that you are ready to begin.  Find a way to assure your teacher, otherwise, ask a question!  It seems like a no brainer yet I am hit with so often.  I think I can speak for teachers across all areas of study that a well thought out question is always appreciated.  Help your teacher focus their instruction on the part of the combination or especially the technique that you don’t understand.  Why are we doing this?  How are we accomplishing this?  What part of my body initiates the movement?  What is the intension behind the step?


I put the caveat “well thought out” in the above statement because there are in fact dumb questions.  I never mind repeating a complicated combination but I do mind repeating it because you haven’t been paying attention.  Learn your terminology and use it.  It is tough when you have never heard of a step before and there is some leeway but in general you should be able to apply proper names to most of the steps you are given. 


Mark your combination, there is a large distance for information to travel from your head to your muscles.  Use your body or your hands to help you lock in the idea of where your feet close and when. 


Be an active participant in your own education.  It is the only way for you to succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment